Biomedical Engineering at University of Zagreb
Biomedical engineering applies knowledge from technical sciences into medicine and biology, with a purpose of improving diagnostical and therapy procedures in medicine. Biomedical engineeers ar co- of the research and the development of the new devices and procedures irreplaceable in a modern medicine. The market of the health sector is predicted to increase up to the value of 3 trillions USD before 2015. A particular contribution belongs to investing into home healthy care systems, health informatics systems and telemedicine. The more the expected life of the population increases, the need for the healthcare services will grow simultaneously.
Main areas of biomedical engineering are biomedical data and signal processing, biomedical instrumentation and sensors, evaluation of medical technologies, informatics and communication technologies in medicine and healthcare systems, biomedical imaging and image processing, biomaterials and biomechanics.
University of Zagreb has a long tradition of education and research in the area of biomedical engineering. A number of units of the University is active in research and teaching activities, including Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, Faculty of Science, School of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Kinesiology and Faculty of Civil Engineering.
Committee for the Development of Biomedical Engineering
On February 17, 2012 the representatives of the mentioned eight schools of the University of Zagreb decided on forming of the Coordination committee for the development of biomedical engineering in University of Zagreb.
The goal of the Committee is:
- Strentgthening of the research activities in the field of biomedical engineering in the University.
- Development of the existing and introduction of the new teaching programs in biomedical engineeing in the University.
- Work on the development of regulations and jobs for biomedical engineers.
The president of the Coordination committee is prof. dr. sc. Sven Lončarić, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing.
Members of the coordination committee are:
- Prof. dr. sc. Ratko Magjarević and prof. dr. sc. Bojan Ivančević (vice-representative), Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing
- Prof. dr. sc. Tanja Jurčević-Lulić and prof. dr. sc. Toma Udiljak (vice-representative), FSB
- Prof. dr. sc. Selma Supek and prof. dr. sc. Kristian Vlahoviček (vice-representative), PMF
- Prof. dr. sc. Vladimir Medved and doc. dr. sc. Davor Šentija (vice-representative), KIF
- Prof. dr. sc. Mladen Radujković and prof. dr. sc. Tomislav Ivšić (vice-representative), GF
- Prof. dr. sc. Miloš Judaš and prof. dr. sc. Drago Batinić (vice-representative), MEF
- Prof. dr. sc. Zrinka Tarle and prof. dr. sc. Ivana Bagić Ćuković (vice-representative), SFZG
- Prof. dr. sc. Tomislav Dobranić and prof. dr. sc. Alen Slavica (vice-representative), VEF
BME@UniZG Web Portal